Friday, November 13, 2009

Does this mean it's all downhill from here?

I stopped into Old Navy tonight to pick up a few items -not generally one of my regular stops, but I had a 30% off coupon and they had some great tights and a killer purse. Anyway, the shopping trip went as usual...I breezed past all of the cable knit sweaters and ugly stripped numbers and found the few items I came for. I was feeling great about the deals I had just scored as I swiped my card, but in an instant all of my post-purchase glory vanished as the sales associate mistook me for a teenager's mother. The conversation went as follows:



18 year old ON sales associate: "Are you CeCe's mom?"

Me: "Um, no." (somewhat quizzically- hoping that CeCe is a small toddler)

18 year old ON sales associate: "Oh, cuz you look just like one of my friends from school!"

Me: "Haha" (uncomfortably laughing as I realize that CeCe is not a toddler, but an 18 year old girl).




She might as well have asked if I was pregnant while she was at it.

11 comments:

Shea McGee said...

Well i just saw you a few weeks ago, and if I remember correctly, you looked slammin' in your pink pencil skirt - and there was definitely no mistaking you for a mother of an 18 year old. xo

Karen Mortensen said...

This is so funny. I am glad I wasn't with you. She probably would have thought I was the great-grandmother.

Anonymous said...

you SO do not look like the mom of any teenager.
don't stress it...you're smokin' hot!

kat said...

There is no way you look like you could be the mother of an 18 year old! I on the other hand really do look like, not the parent of a teenager, but a teenage parent. I have gotten this comment over and over since I've been pregnant, "Oh is this going to be your first?...I thought so, because you look so young."

Grandma Honey said...

consider the source. Really, she probably has bad judgment in all areas of her life. Some people, especially when they are 18, just do. No way do you look like you could be CeCe's mother!

Bags said...

Do I need to come to Salt Lake and kiss you on the mouth to make you feel like yourself again? Cause I'll do it!

Kenz said...

At least the house of your childhood is still standing. We've got nothing to show for ours but a high school baseball diamond. Clovis misses you Linds.

kfiet said...

CeCe's mom
has got it goin on.

Laurel said...

LOVE it! You seriously ALWAYS make me laugh out loud at least once whenever I read your posts. And I agree with Kat, there is NO WAY you look old enough to have a teenager. Old Navy obviously doesn't employ the smartest kids from school.

Richard said...

That reminds of the Jack in the Box in Turlock where the clerk asked me 15 years ago at age 42 if I qualified for a senior discount. It was very disheartening.

Grandma Honey said...

I remember the first time that happened to us. We couldn't figure out why our movie tickets were so cheap. Then as we were going to our seats Den said very gently, "Uh I think they gave us the senior discount." That was 10 years ago!