Sunday, October 5, 2008

Watching a marathon is just as satisfying as running one. Kind of.

This past weekend I went down to St. George to watch one of my good friends, Melissa, run the marathon. I don't know what it is, but I just LOVE watching people finish marathons. I wish I loved running them as much as I love watching them, but I've done it a couple of times and my mind isn't quite made up. Anyway, I don't know if it's watching the culmination of a lot of hard work or seeing someone accomplish a life goal that gets me, but I'll admit it, I teared up at least 3 times as I watched various strangers (and a few friends) cross the finish line.
Almost made me want to start training again. Almost.

5 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I don't do that at marathons...probably because I've never been to one. But I react this way at the end of plays or music productions when everyone comes back on the stage to take a bow. That makes me tear up but I'm not sure why. Must be somehow similar at the end of marathons.

kat said...

My brother Will ran it too. But you wouldn't have teared up over him because he didn't quite make it to the finish:) He was too cold in the rain and he pulled a muscle in his leg and couldn't go past mile 19.

It was fun watching you when you finished running the marathon though. I admire people that have done it, but I have no desire to ever do that for myself.

breena rae said...

I teared up watching you and every single other person cross the finish line at the St. George marathon. I am still amazed by people who do it.
I just babysat for some kids whose dad runs the mega 100 mile marathons...
regular marathons: inspirational
mega marathons: psycho.

Bret Baker said...

Is that my (stolen from you, stolen back) rain slicker? Did you also take that blueish/grayish dress with magenta flowers from my closet?

lindsay lark said...

Yep, I stole it back and posted the picture in the very hopes that you would notice. Thanks for walking right into my little trap. I did not, however, steal the flower dress. I only steal things that were originally mine. Normally, I'd just blame it on Robin, the dirty rotten kyper, but I don't think that works anymore. Or does it?

P.S. For anyone who isn't a member of the Rozier family, "dity rotten kyper" is an endearing term.