Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sometimes it pays to hang out with a bunch of girls.

Like when you go to the Kennecott copper mine. Which, by the way, is one of the best kept secrets in UT (okay, so maybe the fact that the side of the mountain is totally carved out and you can see it from space doesn't really qualify it as a "secret", but man, no one told me how cool that place is).
Anyway, point is, we made friends with the security guard. And maybe we chatted him up and asked questions incessantly about the mine and all of the minerals that are found there. And maybe he gave us some really cool sparkly rocks from the bottom of the humongous pit. And just maybe it made me sort of want to start a rock collection.

6 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

My uncle worked there years ago but I have never been there. Looks cool. I will have to go there next time I am there.
Watch out for those guards. I married one. (That was one of the odd jobs that Tom had when we met)

Unknown said...

I had quite the rock collection as a kid if I do say so myself. I thought it was THE COOLEST. And to this day whenever I see one of those polished rock displays in gift shops where you choose as many rocks that will fit in a velvet satchel I want to do it so bad. Steve would make fun of me though so I don't...

@lliE from FreshlyCompleted said...

We went there a couple years ago...and I had No idea it even existed. I was like, "How is it possible I've lived here for two years and had NO idea this Huge carved mountain-thing was here?"

It also took for two years to notice Utah lake. (I wish I was joking about that.) I seriously never noticed either one of those huge very obvious structures.

Shannon Elizabeth said...

my concern is that i dont know 2 out of 4 people in this picture.

nrozier said...

Uh...don't be getting any ideas about stealing my old rock collection from it's trusty box in mom and dad's basement!

D said...

My grandpa was a geologist and worked there for years and years and years. I've never been, though.